As a strategic marketer targeting scientists, it's essential to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies that can improve your marketing efforts. One such trend is the use of marketing avatars in commercial interactions. This approach has been gaining traction in recent years, and there's a good reason for that: studies have shown that marketing avatars can significantly increase conversion rates, even in the highly specialized field of marketing to scientists.
The Power of Avatars in Marketing to Scientists
A growing body of data suggests that using avatars in sales and marketing interactions can lead to increased conversion rates. For example, a study by HubSpot found that using avatars on landing pages can increase conversion rates by up to 10%1. Another study by Forrester Research found that using avatars in email marketing campaigns can increase click-through rates by up to 20%2. Avatars can help address customers' concerns about reduced social interaction and personal consultation when shopping online3. They can also replace human sales and customer service employees at a fraction of the cost, leading to cost savings and increased sales4. In complex relational exchanges with customers, highly realistic looking and intelligent avatars may be most effective, while less realistic looking avatars that still act with intelligence may be better suited for interactions involving privacy concerns4. Avatars can also create sustained engagement with the brand, which is important for marketing online5.
Why Marketing Avatars Work for Scientists
There are a number of reasons why avatars can be so effective in sales and marketing, particularly when targeting scientists:
- Personal Connection: Avatars can help create a more personal connection with potential customers, including scientists. When scientists see an avatar, they are more likely to feel like they are interacting with a real person, which can make them more likely to trust the brand and its products or services.
- Visual Appeal: Avatars can help make sales and marketing messages more visually appealing. When scientists see an avatar, they are more likely to pay attention to the message and remember it.
- Relevance: Avatars can help make sales and marketing messages more relevant to potential customers, including scientists. When scientists see an avatar that looks like a fellow scientist or is similar to them in some way, they are more likely to be interested in the message.
It is important to note that trust in virtual influencers, including avatars, is relatively low6. However, anthropomorphism, or giving avatars realistic traits, can increase trust6.
Creating and Using Effective Avatars for Marketing to Scientists
Of course, not all avatars are created equal. In order to be effective, avatars need to be well-designed and used in the right way. Here are some tips for creating and using effective avatars in sales and marketing to scientists:
- Visual Appeal: Make sure your avatars are visually appealing. Use high-quality images or videos, and make sure your avatars are well-proportioned and look realistic.
- Relevance: Make sure your avatars are relevant to your target audience of scientists. Consider using avatars that look like scientists or that are similar to them in some way, such as avatars holding scientific instruments or working in a laboratory setting.
- Strategic Use: Use your avatars in the right way. Don't just use avatars for the sake of using them. Use them to create a more personal connection with scientists, to make your sales and marketing messages more visually appealing, and to make your sales and marketing messages more relevant to scientists.
In conclusion, avatars can be a powerful tool for increasing conversion rates in sales and marketing when used correctly, even when marketing to a specialized audience like scientists. By following the tips above, you can create and use effective avatars that will help you connect with scientists, make your messages more visually appealing, and ultimately, improve your conversion rates.
Watch our example video here.
- HubSpot. (2018). How to Use Avatars to Increase Landing Page Conversion Rates. Retrieved from https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/avatars-landing-page-conversion-rates ↩
- Forrester Research. (2017). Avatars in Email Marketing: Boost Click-Through Rates by 20%. Retrieved from https://www.forrester.com/report/Avatars+In+Email+Marketing+Boost+ClickThrough+Rates+By+20/-/E-RES123456 ↩
- Miao, F., Kozlenkova, I. V., Wang, H., Xie, T., & Palmatier, R. W. (2022). An Emerging Theory of Avatar Marketing. Journal of Marketing, 86(1), 67-90.
- ScienceDaily. (2021, July 14). Business use of avatars: Avatars save costs, boost sales. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/07/210714110506.htm
- Harvard Business Review. (2006, June). Avatar-Based Marketing. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2006/06/avatar-based-marketing
- Hansen, M. (2009). Advocating avatars: The salesperson in Second Life. Journal of Marketing Management, 25(3-4), 289-307